Wednesday 26 October 2016

Book Review of 'One Hundred Shadows' by Hwang Jungeun



A few weeks ago, I was given the opportunity to read and review One Hundred Shadows by Hwang Jungeun for Minor Literature[s] . My e-copy of the book was kindly provided by Tilted Axis Press, an excellent press group that focuses on bringing fringe, hidden-gem international literature to the fore in English-speaking countries. What a brilliant mission, and one from which we should all be keen to benefit.

I am always excited by the prospect of reading literature from other cultures, and the premise of this novella sounded especially enticing. It blends social critique of modern-day South Korea with elements of the Gothic genre, which both highlight the criticism of society but also add depth to the plot and themes. Without giving away too much, here is my review. Read it, but more importantly, make sure to read the book - I promise it won't disappoint!



No comments:

Post a Comment